The Animal Resources Associate works within standards and operating procedures to plan and perform various tasks with animals mainly rabbits and rats. Assist in the completion of documentation required under cGMPs, OSHA, USDA, FDA, ISO, and corporate policies. This includes written records and logs. Perform feeding, carrying, and holding animals, cleaning and sanitizing of animal caging systems, water lines, and other animal handling components. Perform maintenance, cleaning and wash down procedures for buildings, floors, drains, and air handling equipment. Perform animal immunizations, bleeds, bleed outs. Effectively work in a team setting, supporting team goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform incoming health and Quality Assurance checks for incoming animals.
- Administer antibiotics, analgesics and anesthetics as required by protocol or by consulting Veterinarian.
- Assist in the performance of tasks necessary to complete daily production work in the animal facilities. This includes the maintenance of housing, cage lining, daily feed/water supply to animals, medications if needed, immunization and bleeding schedules and documenting changes to the published schedules. Collection of injections, test bleed information and other related information and materials required for daily production activities. Maintains pasture and fence surroundings.
- Maintain receipt and disposition records for all DEA controlled substances.
- Assist in maintaining Animal Resource records for care and use of all animals.
- Assist in bringing new techniques and procedures to the department to reduce costs and improve quality of care.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to endure prolonged standing and walking.
- Must have good manual dexterity in hands.
- Must be non allergic to any animal species used in manufacturing or research applications.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Valid Georgia drivers license.
- Two years experience as an Animal Handler or three years experience working with laboratory and farm animals in a production or research facility.
- Must have mastered all tasks outlined above as Job Functions and Responsibilities.
- Must have completed training of all Departmental DI's, SOP's and policies related to tasks mastered.
- Must be able to read, write, analyze and evaluate charts, follow simple diagrams, and perform basic math.
- Perform various immunizations protocols for all animals, rabbits, goats, sheep, mice rats and other animals as required. Types of immunizations include IP, IM, IV, SC, IA and IC. Perform blood collection procedures for rabbits, sheep and goats, and other animals as required, while maintaining death rates from this procedure below 10%
- Operate and maintain medicators, tractor and accessory equipment, pathological incinerator.
- Perform all tasks necessary to maintain clean environmental animal cages, i.e. daily cleaning of building floors, animal cages, feeders and other related equipment.
- Assist and perform tasks necessary to maintain animal health. These tasks include feeding of all animals and applying general topical medication required to maintain animal health.
- Assists in daily production tasks including blood collection and immunization of rabbits, rats and other animals as required.
- AALAS Technician certification.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA GA - Grayson
Work ShiftUS BD 1st Shift 630am-230pm (United States of America)