Licensed Veterinary Technician (Full Time and Part Time)
KITSAP Humane Society
Silverdale, WA, USA
Kitsap Humane Society (KHS), a highly progressive open-admission animal welfare organization located in Silverdale, Washington is looking to hire a temporary full-time or part time Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT) to our already amazing team. We are looking for a conscientious, progressive, team-oriented technician to provide support for our veterinarians in order to provide outstanding medical and surgical care for the animals under our care.
Job Purpose and Summary
KHS's temporary LVT will work in collaboration with the Director of Shelter Medicine, veterinarians, staff and volunteers to provide high quality shelter medicine, surgery, treatment and care for KHS shelter animals. Technician responsibilities will include all aspects of surgery and recovery, examinations of shelter and foster animals, medical treatments, laboratory work and radiography.The position will also involve working closely with our veterinary assistants and volunteers in order to provide mentorship, training, and care for the animals. Our temporary LVT must be efficient at time management and able to thrive in a high volume, fast-paced environment with multiple priorities.
• An interest in and willingness to support the mission, vision, and philosophy of KHS
• Previous experience or specific training/interest in HQHVSN and/or shelter medicine preferred.
• Surgical preparation, anesthetic induction, patient monitoring and recovery
• Proficiency in venipuncture, specimen collection and in house laboratory procedures
• Confidence in performing basic physical exams and working directly with caregivers
• Ability to triage patients based on medical and surgical needs
• Must present a good appearance and have the ability to deal cheerfully and tactfully with the public, staff and volunteers with a consistent positive mental attitude
• Must be skilled and able to handle conflict resolution
• Meticulous and methodical attention to record keeping and reporting
• Ability to have a flexible schedule, work weekends and overtime if necessary
• Lift 50 lbs or more
Key Tasks and Responsibilities (but not limited to)
•Surgical duties to include anesthetic induction, surgical prep, monitoring and recovery
• Preliminary examinations of shelter and foster animals requiring medical care
• Triage of animals requiring veterinary care and implementation of treatment protocols for common diseases
• Direct care of shelter animals including examinations, medication, treatment and willingness to become euthanasia certified
• Provide support and training for veterinary assistants and volunteers in all aspects of veterinary care
• Direct interaction with adopters and foster parents includes educating them on medical conditions and instructions for medication and follow up care.
• Inventory and ordering of medications and supplies, controlled drug record keeping
• Involvement in staff education, development of SOPs, euthanasia certification, community outreach and partnerships with local vet clinics
• We are looking for Full-Time or Part-Time Licensed Veterinary Technicians
• Compensation range is $18-$22 an hour
• Full-time employees accrue 10 sick days a year and 80 hours of vacation. We also offer medical and dental benefits.
• One free animal adoption per year is available to all regular full-time or part-time employees. This benefit is available after
completion of the employee's 120-day introductory period.