We are seeking a Veterinary Technician who will be responsible for providing veterinary technical support, coordination of regulatory documents preparation, and performing IACUC support functions. This position will assist and coordinate study protocols in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) or Laboratory Methods, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations, and safety and health practices.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Triages and oversees veterinary health and medical treatments in consultation with the Associate Director, Veterinary Services.
- Prepares, sets-up, and stocks surgical suite.
- Generates and gathers data for monthly reports.
- Coordinates animal ordering activities in conjunction with the Purchasing Department.
- Coordinates, schedules, and oversees animal quarantine activities.
- Maintains Remote Inventory items in use by the Veterinary Services group.
- Oversees animal drinking water quality sample collection and submission for evaluation
- Executes key activities on a study following the appropriate protocol or Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Observes and executes activities consistent with study protocols, SOPs or Laboratory Methods, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations, and safety and health practices.
- Administers a variety of materials by various routes, including, gavage, capsule, intravenous, intramuscular, intraperitoneal, intradermal, and subcutaneous.
- Administers anesthesia, intra-operative and post-operative veterinary technical support for surgical procedures and performs humane euthanasia of experimental and holding or training animals.
- Collects samples and specimens.
- Observes, records, and reports abnormal findings to the attending veterinarian or supervisor.
- Organizes and maintains animal medical records and veterinary care records as described in appropriate SOPs and as directed by the attending veterinarian.
- Receives, quarantines and manipulates animals as required.
- Assigns and maintains a list of USDA regulated species internal identification numbers.
- Oversees animal ordering to ensure that IACUC compliance is maintained.
- Gathers and reviews experimental data by measuring and recording body weights and temperatures, qualitative and quantitative food and water consumption, and observation of physical condition.
- Observes feed and water restrictions including fasting.
- Learns and perfects new techniques required to provide research study support.
- Gathers and reviews experimental data, including temperatures, weights, clinical observations and reports abnormal findings to the supervisor and/or the Attending Veterinarian.
- Handles and restrains animals.
- Sterilizes surgical instruments, equipment and supplies.
- Oversees the provision of environmental enrichment and/or socialization to animals as directed.
- Manages supplies, equipment, and pharmaceutical inventories.
- Orders and maintains an in-house tracking system to monitor the inventory of DEA controlled substances.
- Assists the Attending Veterinarian with various clinical and surgical procedures.
- Performs other duties as directed by Supervisor, Veterinary Services.
- Associates Degree in Veterinary Technology, life sciences, or another related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic study design and execution.
- Knowledge of and experience performing animal surgical techniques on large and small animals.
- Must be able to work overtime occasionally.
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including an N95 respirator or PAPR for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work in A/BSL-2 & 3 environments.
- Must have proven ability to work well with a team and demonstrate the ability to train other staff members on lab techniques.
- Ability to successfully complete all required medical and immunizations.
Certifications, Licenses & Registrations:
- LVT required.
- ALAT or LAT preferred